Monday, October 21, 2019

James Buchan: The Scottish Immigrant

My family history has always been a mystery. Both of my grandparents are very elderly so they were never really provided too much information to my sister and me when we were younger. The only thing that I always remember was my dad telling me and my sister that his grandfather is an immigrant from Scotland. For this project, I received most of my information from my dad. As a child, my dad had a really close relationship with his grandfather. My great grandfather's name was James Taylor Buchan (his middle name is where my first name came from). He was born on March 16, 1899, in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire. My dad told me that one story that my great grandfather told him was about him and his parents immigrating to Canada. Apparently, when he was around 13 years old, his parents and his four sisters were supposed to board the Titanic. The story goes, he got sick with the flu and his family had to postpone their move. I used Ancestory.com but they didn't provide much information about my great grandfather. The cite also claimed that my great grandfather also died in 1950 which is not possible because that means he died before my dad was born. One piece of information that I found interesting was a passenger list.



 The passenger list includes not only my great grandfather but also my great grandmother Helen Buchan. According to the passenger list they were leaving Scotland again. According to the list their residency is in the Ivanhoe Hotel, Glasgow. I decided to do further research on the hotel and apparently it was later on renamed the Buchanan Hotel. This has no connection to me because the passenger lists states that my relative's intent of their tip from Scotland was to gain citizenship in the US. 

No comments:

Post a Comment